Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Hockey Equipment Drying Rack?

I started playing hockey a long time ago. Or atleast what seems like a long time ago. Recently I came across something that I think you would only find in a recreation center and that is a hockey equipment drying rack. Why would a player buy this? I mean your everyday average hockey player. More over where would they put it? In their garage? I love the sport of hockey. I enjoy playing it. Well, I should say that I really enjoy roller or inline hockey, but you get the idea. Do I really need a hockey equipment drying rack? I understand that yeah, hockey equipment get can smelly or really stinky. Would this even help out with that this much? I just don't know. I don't know if it's worth it to have it take up the space it does in a room or a house. It also makes it look like a hockey player is standing around whereever it is going to go.

I can understand if you are a goalie and you want to air out your goalie pads. Goalies probably get way hotter than offensive or defensive players. Their pads are also larger and heavier. Yeah all that's true. Goalies may need it more, but there still is the problem of having it take up all that room. It's easier to put your hockey gear in a bag and pack it away isn't it? I mean having a goalie standing their in your living room 24/7 would be kind of annoying. I think it'd be interesting to poll a group of hockey players and ask how many actually have their own drying rack. I'll bet its only the ones that take it very seriously. I'd be willing to bet that it would be mostly college and highschool students on varsity teams that will end up being the owners of their own drying racks.

If you are on a team and plan on going to the NHL or college hockey and that is your top priority, I might see the reason why you would want something like that. Some players of sports take things very seriously. That's cool, that is why those players are usually the cream of the crop. It's why they are the top goal scorers and point earners in their respective leagues. Then you have the hockey freaks, that just have to have everything there is out their for bragging rights. You know, the type that would tell you that they actually bought one, even though they aren't the greatest player out there. These players usually buy every piece of hockey equipment they can to try and prove they are a good hockey player. The problem is you can't buy your way into being good at a sport. You have to work at it and practice your hockey drills.

I'm not trying to make fun of or downplay the usefulness of something that many players might find essential for their hockey equipment. I'm just saying for me, that it is a little too much. I don't even know how much they cost, but I'd rather spend my money on the actual hockey gear itself than an apparatus that I hang it on. So, I've come to the conclusion while writing this that as a hockey player a hockey equipment drying rack really is not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.