Thursday, February 25, 2010

What Are The Best Hockey Skates?

What are the best hockey skates? How do you find them? I've written about this before. Yeah, you can sort through all the old posts if you want to. Or you can just read this current updated take on it. Whichever you wish to use as your source for hockey equipment reading entertainment is fine with me. As you may or may not know, I do play hockey. Yes, I consider myself a hockey player and a good one at that. What type of player am I? Well, I value my speed. I'm an offensive minded hockey guy. So it is only natural that I value my inline hockey skates. I should've mentioned that shouldn't I? I'm not an ice hockey player. So, I don't know too much about ice hockey equipment. I can however tell you about the roller hockey equipment that I've had experience with. Do I consider myself an expert on this subject. I don't know. Everyone who plays hockey has their own style. So what works for one person may not necessarily work for the other. Every player's focus on hockey equipment is different. Some want the best protection and pads possible. Some players are afraid of getting their shins hurt so they focus on their shin pads. Other players care more about their hands so they are very concerned about their hockey gloves. I can officially say that one of the most important pieces of hockey equipment in my arsenal are my hockey skates. So, you better believe that I am going to be looking for the best hockey skates imaginable. I'm not going to go into the whole manufacturer debate, because frankly, I don't know who is the best today. I'll have to look into a new pair of skates soon, but until then I'll talk about the search for finding the best skates instead and how you might accomplish your goals in that area of choosing your hockey gear.

Hockey Skate Fit

Yes, It is so important. Why? Your skate will go where your foot goes. You don't want your feet moving around in side the boot of your skate while you are playing hockey. You can seriously damage your foot. You'll have helluva time controlling and balancing yourself too. I myself like to make sure my skates are tight when I'm playing hockey. This helps me control myself and my speed with easy. It helps to be able to control your car right? Same thing with hockey skates. You don't want unresponsive steering. Hockey players need full control in such a fast paced sport.

Hockey Skate Bearings

Ah yes, the skate bearings. This is often an overlooked piece of the hockey equipment puzzle. Why is that? Well, when you first buy a pair of skates you can't see the bearings. They are inside the wheels. Most novice roller hockey players will not even bother to read the box to see what kind of bearings they are getting. They won't care weather they are abec 3, abec 5, abec 7, or abec 9. Hell, they won't even care if it's an abec brand of bearings or bones swiss bearings. I for one do. It's very important to me. Bearings help with the smoothness of skating and they also help with the speed. I have preached this many times before, but you don't want your bearings rattling. If they rattle, get new skate bearings quick. Trust me, you'll end up being a far better hockey player because of it.

So which is the better bearing? Swiss or Abec? I don't know. I've heard Swiss are faster. I've only used Abec bearings however. I've also used them with good results.

The conclusion here is testing. Read the above, purchase your skate and don't overlook the bearings or the fit. You'll decide which hockey equipment is best for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.