Thursday, October 1, 2009

Reebok Hockey Jerseys

As you all know, I'm fascinated with the Reebok Hockey company. Being a hockey player myself, I know that the technology that is used with making the equipment for the sport can make a huge difference in one's playing abilities. I believe this is true in inline hockey more than ice hockey, but that is besides the point. Their relatively new RBK Edge premier hockey jerseys are extremely cool in concept. They supposedly repel moisture so you don't have to be soaked when playing long hours. If that isn't cool enough they also are very lightweight and allow the player to have a better range of movement and conformatablity. I don't know of any other company in the sport of hockey that has come up with something like this.

Reebok's Play Dry system is supposed to make water collect in beads and then repel from the jersey. When I first heard about this, like most hockey players, I thought it was great. It sounds like something that would be made for a racing sport. Who wouldn't want to play a game of hockey in a jersey that is less restrictive and won't collect sweat from playing all day long. All seemed great, because both roller hockey players and ice hockey players could utilize this hockey jersey and help themselves be one step ahead of their opposing competition. I mean having great hockey gear is essential to having an edge in the sport. The whole RBK Edge jersey would've been a great addition to my hockey equipment. Or so I thought. I still have yet to buy one. What is the reason that an avid roller hockey player such as myself would be hesitant to go out and get one of these cutting edge jerseys? Well, it turns out the technology of water repelling itself is keeping from going out and trying on the RBK Edge.

How many times have we seen things like this in the world. A brand new thing comes along that fixes one problem, but creates another. Stuff like this has happened in other sports. Usually, the equipment manufacturers find a way around the problem and fix the issues at hand. In all fairness, this the way things are. In a sport like hockey, you have multiple choices. Now granted, the NHL players have to wear these jerseys when they play. Remember, Reebok is their official equipment provider. They have a pretty big deal with the NHL, so you won't see players not wearing these jerseys when you go to a game. If you read about the problems themselves, you may not think it is a big deal and I don't think it's as huge as some hockey players think it is. But, complaints are complaints. Sports leagues are full players that complain. Some are valid and some are just downright petty. That's not to say people are whiners, depending on the way you play hockey, it may affect you or others differently.

I've read complaints about NHL players having their hands and gloves soaked while playing hockey. It makes sense, if the jersey is getting rid of all the moisture, where does that moisture go? It has to repel somewhere. In a high intense sport such as hockey, there will be alot of moisture and having that all gather in one spot can be annoying. Who wants to stick handle with soaking wet hands. What kind of effect will this have on the hockey sticks? Will this screw up slapshots or wrist shots? These are all very valid questions for those who play the sport of hockey. Will this keep me from going out and buying of these jerseys. In short, no it won't. I will eventually get around to purchasing a RBK Edge jersey, but I won't be rushing out to obtain one. I'll get one when I am good and ready to or to be more precise when I can afford one.

I don't want to take anything away from Reebok though, because they did have an extremely good concept here. The thought of having a jersey be a performance enhancing piece of equipment and comfort is a great one in my opinion. No doubt that players today are increasingly having much better hockey equipment that will lend to giving them more of an edge against yesterdays players. This almost reminds me of that whole swimsuit debacle that was happening this year. You know, where all the swim records were being broken because of the new streamlined swimsuits. I don't quite think anything like this has happened in hockey yet, but we probably aren't far from it. The RBK Edge jerseys are just bringing us one step further I think. One day, we will have hockey gear that will truly seperate us from the days of old and I'm talking significant.

I believe any future hockey gear enhancements in the industry will mostly be speed related. I've always said speed is essential in the sport of hockey, especially roller hockey. When players increase their speed, they increase chances of scoring goals. They increase their likely hood of getting to the puck or taking out an opposing player. They increase probably almost every aspect of their game. Just as Reebok has done with their pump skates series, they have taken hockey jerseys to a creative new level. That's one thing I like about this manufacturer as a hockey equipment company. They think outside the box when it comes to not only what players want, but what they need and will benefit from as well. What will be next? I'm not sure. The sport of hockey has declined in popularity over the years. I mean, I love the sport and I do know of many that are diehard players and are huge fans of the NHL. I think it's long overdue for a jump start. Will this happen sooner rather than later. Who knows. All I know is that the idea of these Reebok hockey jerseys is a good start and will help push the momentum forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.