Sunday, April 5, 2009

Hockey Shin Pads

Ok the title reads Hockey Gear Info On Shin Pads. So, if you can put two and two together, you know what this post will be about. When I started playing hockey, I played on foot for like 2 or 3 games. Now, this obvioulsy won't cut it playing against people on skates. The reason being is that they can be in constant motion without exerting any energy. While if you are on foot, if you don't move, you don't move at all. Naturally if you get skates, you will notice that on occasion, you will fall down.

Update: Yeah, I changed this title too. It looked too long.

Falling down on your knees and shins can be painful. Not to mention that inline hockey is an agressive game involving guys with sticks. So getting hit in the shins with a hockey stick can be even more painful and more dangerous. I learned this early, so naturally, I went out and got shin pads.

As I sit here typing this, I'm trying to remember my first pair of shin pads. I think it was Franklin. I know I had Franklin elbow pads early on and I'm pretty sure I used their shin pads as well. Franklin is an ok brand, not the best for equipment. It is usually cheaply priced for those just starting out in street hockey.

Needless to say, I outgrew those shin pads fast and needed a new pair. I went with Jofa. Jofa's set of shin pads came with elbow pads as well. That is pretty much the reason why I bought them. These pads lasted a long time. I would say around 4-5 years probably. If I had to classify their equipment, I would say it was the second best pair of shin pads I owned.

The Jofa's eventually ripped in two, seperating the knee cup and the shin protector. Any time I bent my knee, it was exposed. This isn't good, because you feel like you are well protected in the knee area, but you are not. Not long after the pads were damaged, I received a pair of Mission shin guards. These were the best and I still have these shin guards today. They were snug and used velcro straps. Not much to say about them other then they work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.